- Political Context and the Consequences of Naming and Shaming for Human Rights Abuse (with Justin Esarey). 2017. International Interactions 43(4): 589-618, 43(4):
- The Strategic Use of State Repression and Political Violence. 2016. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics.
- Bias and Overconfidence in Parametric Models of Interactive Processes (with William D. Berry and Justin Esarey). 2016. American Journal of Political Science 60(2): 521-539.
- Delegating Death: Military Intervention and Government Killing. 2015. Journal of Conflict Resolution 59(3): 346-368.
- At the Water's Edge: The Decline of Partisan Liberal Internationalism (with John Ishiyama and Michael Widmeier). 2015. Acta Politica 50(3): 320-343.
- Female Participation and Civil War Relapse (with Angela D. Nichols and Eliza G. Kelly). 2014. Civil Wars 16(3): 346-368.
- Defining and Modeling State-Dependent Dynamic Systems (with Justin Esarey). 2014. Political Analysis 22(1): 61-85.
- A Political Economy of Human Rights: Oil, Natural Gas, and State Incentives to Repress (with Joseph K. Young). 2013. Conflict Management and Peace Science 30(2): 99-120.
- Constrained by the Bank and the Ballot: Unearned Revenue, Democracy, and State Incentives to Repress (with Courtenay R. Conrad). 2013. Journal of Peace Research 50(1): 105-119.
- International Organizations and Government Killing: Does Naming and Shaming Save Lives? 2012. International Interactions 38(5): 597-621.
- Testing for Interaction in Binary Logit and Probit Models: Is a Product Term Essential? (with William D. Berry and Justin Esarey). 2010. American Journal of Political Science 54(1): 248-266.
- Risk Factors for Forced Migrant Flight (with Will H. Moore). 2007. Conflict Management and Peace Science 24(1): 85-104.
- Transitional Justice: Prospects for Post-war Peace and Human Rights. 2016. InWhat Do We Know About Civil War? T. David Mason and Sara McLaughlin Mitchell, eds. Rowman & Littlefield.
- Unintended Consequences: The Effect of Advocacy to End Torture on Empowerment Rights Violations (with Courtenay R. Conrad). 2014. In Examining Torture: Empirical Studies of State Repression. Tracy Lightcap and James Pfiffner, eds. Palgrave MacMillan.
DATA COLLECTION PROJECTS
- The National Human Rights Institutions (NHRI) Data Collection Project (with Courtenay R. Conrad and Will H. Moore)